Skip to main content

Pool Time! My Resort Pass Experience

 Ever heard of Resort Pass? I hadn't until recently. Just as I never knew people were renting their pools out on Airbnb. But that's a subject for another day. While searching for that perfect pool to chill at for the day, on Airbnb, and not finding one beautiful or fun enough, I stumbled across Resortpass.com. Where thousands of hotels around the United States and Mexico offer you the opportunity to utilize their pools, spas, board rooms, fitness centers, and even regular rooms, for a few hours or the entire day. Which is great if you can't afford to stay at these more expensive hotels, but would still like to experience what it's like to be a guest there. Resort passes range from 25 dollars to more than 600 dollars, depending on the hotel (3,4, or 5 star), and whether or not you reserve special services or items in advance. For example, I purchased two pool, day passes for the MdR Marina del Rey hotel, for only 25 dollars each. I had the option to reserve a day use cabana for 300 dollars. 

At first I was nervous about partaking in this experience. I would find hotels with gorgeous views of the city, ocean, or marina, but then read less than favorable reviews: overcrowded pools, no available lounge chairs, poor food and drink service, no towels offered, dirty pool, and too many kids. However, we had a wonderful experience at the MdR hotel. The hotel Manager greeted us warmly, offered us towels, and handed us cookies. That's right!, I said cookies! The MdR is a Double Tree Hotel, famous for their large and delicious chocolate chunk cookies. Funny Story about these cookies actually. A few hours after ordering lunch from the bar, my husband asked the frond desk clerk for two more cookies. Which they gladly handed over. Then!, on the way out he asked (the new person on duty) for two more cookies! Which they happily handed over.

When we arrived at the lovely and spacious pool area it was empty. There were plenty of plush lounge  chairs, large umbrellas, and only one other couple present. The best part? The pool was clean and we had it all to ourselves. It was a warm for Marina del Rey, but because we were near enough to the ocean, a gentle breeze kept us cool all day. The hotel bar / restaurant and lounge (containing a ping pong table with it's own lounge and sliding glass door for privacy) was located right outside the pool area. The food selection was minimal but affordable. What we really enjoyed were the specialty drinks. I loved my spicy Jalapeno margarita with cucumber syrup. My husband's drink, a pomegranate mojito with plenty of mint, was yummy as well. After enjoying some tasty eats (sweet potato fries and buffalo chicken wings) we read by the pool for a long while.  Hubby fell asleep, while I opted for another swim. I had the pool all to myself and it was wonderful.

After my second swim of the day I announced I'd like another drink. The Bartender made me a skinny margarita soda spritzer with blueberry syrup. Once again, I loved my drink. We took our drinks over to the ping pong lounge (yes, a lounge with couches, tables and a glass door that closes for privacy). Many games later, we took our drinks back to the pool. A few couples came and went while we read some more. Followed by a few families with children. It started to get a bit loud, so I decided at 4:45 pm, that it was time to head out. We had plans to eat burgers at a pub, with live entertainment, near the Venice Peer. It was the perfect, lazy day. We felt so comfortable and relaxed at the MdR Double Tree Hotel and will  definitely return in the future. Please see the attached photographs.


                                                                                    





Comments

  1. Hi Dahlia,
    Your blog is really good. It's very informative and descriptive.

    The photos of the hotel are great.
    It looks like it was nice and shady where you were sitting.

    You did a great job letting the reader know how getting a pass at a hotel works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! Thank you so much Helen for your continued support ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  2. Wow Dahlia! Great blog! I had never heard of resort pass but I'm totally looking it up now. Sounds like a great day was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog post Angela ๐Ÿ˜Š. Isn't it a fabulous idea? I wonder if the hotels in Vegas are doing the same thing. I'd love to visit the Mirage swimming pool.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve: A Vibrantly Colored Slice of Wildflower Heaven

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve Driving in from the Valencia end, taking the very windy, and long San Francisquito Canyon Rd, instead of the 14 freeway, was refreshing. And, thanks to the recent rains, the endless rolling hills are lushly green!  As you near the poppy reserve splotches of orange poppies, purple and yellow wild flowers begin to fill in the landscape. Until the awe inspiring moment when you finally come around the bend and spy the Reserve in the distance. The multicolored sea of poppy and wildflower blanketed land, with snow capped mountains in the backdrop, really does take your breath away.  Spy the nearby farm with it's unique square patches of orange poppy flowers, that have drawn quite the crowd. And smile at the others who opted to stop and take photographs of the poppy covered hills alongside the road. Me and the hubster poked some fun at the people trying to get easy Instagram photos without putting in any of the work (hiking the paths at the reserve). I highly

"Free Guy" Movie Synopsis and Ratings Guide

                PG 13           Violence and Action Throughout, Some Sexual References, and Some Strong Language Guy, a disposable, NPC character in a popular video game, wakes up every morning to his perfectly predictable but pleasant life, where he works as a Bank Teller, and hangs out with his best friend Ron, the security guard. Until one day everything changes, Guy experiences love at first sight with the girlfriend of an armed robber, who holds up his bank. Suddenly all he can think about is a future with this mystery woman. He realizes he can make this happen by getting his hands on a pair of the special glasses he’s seen the bad guys wear. The next time his bank is held up Guy disarms the robber and takes his glasses (which he comes to find give you special abilities and access to cool features within the video game). While roaming around town wearing the glasses, he runs into HER. She teaches Guy that he can accumulate points fast by committing crimes and disposing of o

11 Tips For Losing and Maintaining a Healthy Weight.

Before I launch into the meat of the blog post, I'd like to remind you that you are a STRONG and DETERMINED individual, who has DEFINITELY got this! I have so much more to say, but had to stop at tip number 11 and go out for a walk. I hope you enjoy the article!  Don't stock your home full of fattening snacks and deserts, bottled juice, soda, sports drinks, etc. This is a given right? You'd be surprised how difficult it is for most people to actually accomplish this. If you live with a significant other or have children, you ultimately wind up purchasing these items for them, and eventually partake. Even though I have really strong will power, and manage not to eat these items most of the time, I am likely to cave when I am under stress, feel exhausted, have a cold, or it is that time of the month. My mother n' law brings home a ton of sweets every time she goes shopping, and my husband tends to bring home chocolate muffins, coffee cake, or one pound bars of chocolate,