Skip to main content

4 Awesome Benefits of Exercising: Especially During Your Cycle

By Dahlia Acevedo

You don't need me to tell you that exercising on a regular basis has many benefits. I am simply trying to make a case for it, and perhaps help inspire you to get out and move that body. I've found it is easier to stick to a routine, when you make it just that: Something you do every day. It is easy to skip one day, easier to skip two, and much easier to skip three. You get the picture. Below I have touched on four benefits of exercise that have a more immediate affect on a person's well being.

Better Sleep and Less aches and Pains.

It sucks getting older doesn't it? Well, I remember a time not too long ago, when I had gotten super lazy and stopped exercising altogether. During the day I was experiencing back and neck pain, soreness in my belly and sides. Probably because I sit all day at work.

Since I have started exercising again, which is most days. I am pretty much falling asleep right away and sleeping through the night (the body is tired). Definitely getting a better quality sleep. And I very rarely wake up in pain.

Also, exercise strengthens your core, which results in better posture and less aches and pains.

When we get a better quality sleep we tend to feel happier, have more patience / tolerance for loved ones and life situations, are better able to focus on work  / are more productive at work, and have more energy!, can get more done!

I've definitely noticed significantly less aches and pains during my cycle. Especially headaches. I normally get those 2 or 3 days in a row.

Releases endorphins and helps regulate hormones (mood)

If you are anything like me, when it's that time of the month you feel very lethargic, moody and lack the motivation to do much of anything. The last couple of months I have been struggling with this, as I attempt to get back into shape. Yesterday when I got home from work, I felt very fatigued. I had an emotionally draining day (internal emotions: you know what I mean ladies!), as I struggled to keep a smile on my face and interact with co-workers at a lengthy lunch in celebration. On top of that I had physical pain and bloating. The last thing I wanted to do when I got home was exercise. What I really wanted to do was curl up under the covers and cry. But, I forced myself to get dressed and go out the door. The first couple of minutes felt difficult, but as my body warmed up a bit, the walk got a lot easier. My endorphins kicked in about half hour in and I started to feel better, and suddenly had the energy to keep going. An hour later when I arrived home I felt amazing. I felt happy, energized, and my muscles felt warm and relaxed (so less pain and physical discomfort).

Every time I feel sad, angry or moody and I go for a walk or a bike ride, I always wind up feeling much, much better.


A confidence booster

You may have just started working out a few days ago, but I bet you are already feeling more confident about the way you look. It's interesting how big of a confidence booster exercise can be. You feel thinner (especially when your clothes fit comfortably or baggy), more attractive, younger, more confident at work (your a strong / kick ass person), and you perhaps begin to notice the opposite sex checking you out. You've been working hard and it shows! This confidence can boost your sex life and enhance your work performance.

Set personal goals for yourself. Walk, run, or bike an extra mile, challeng yourself. Up your zumba, spin and pilates classes from two to three times a week. Once you meet these goals you are sure to feel strong, powerful, amazing, youthful, And have that over all wonderful feeling of being able to acomplish anything you set your mind to. You are feeling CONFIDENT.


Boosts your metabolism

Exercising on a regular basis is going to boost your metabolism. In general when you begin an exercise regime you tend to feel hungrier and want to eat more often. As long as you are eating healthy this shouldn't be an issue. I am aware that avocados, mixed nuts, peanut butter and certain cheeses contain a lot of fat. However, they are the healthy type of fat that is actually good for your body, and your muscles, as they are sources of protein. If you are doing more intensive forms of exercise on a regular basic, such as weight lifting, bike riding / spin classes, running, pilates reformer workouts, zumba, you need to take in more protein.

Switching to whole wheat products are a good idea, as they help to keep you full for a longer (much longer), period of time: Oatmeal, shredded wheat cereal, whole wheat / pumpernickel bread / bagels, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat based snacks.The good news is you are still burning off most of your fat even if you are suddenly eating more. You are building muscle which will in turn burn even more fat. So as long as you are eating healthy, and in MODERATION, you should continue to lose weight and tone up. For example: On a typical night I will eat two servings of meat or fish (two pieces), and a half /one yam (sometimes with veggies or salad), sometimes with a serving of brown rice. If I had something carby for lunch I am less likely to have something carby with my dinner.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve: A Vibrantly Colored Slice of Wildflower Heaven

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve Driving in from the Valencia end, taking the very windy, and long San Francisquito Canyon Rd, instead of the 14 freeway, was refreshing. And, thanks to the recent rains, the endless rolling hills are lushly green!  As you near the poppy reserve splotches of orange poppies, purple and yellow wild flowers begin to fill in the landscape. Until the awe inspiring moment when you finally come around the bend and spy the Reserve in the distance. The multicolored sea of poppy and wildflower blanketed land, with snow capped mountains in the backdrop, really does take your breath away.  Spy the nearby farm with it's unique square patches of orange poppy flowers, that have drawn quite the crowd. And smile at the others who opted to stop and take photographs of the poppy covered hills alongside the road. Me and the hubster poked some fun at the people trying to get easy Instagram photos without putting in any of the work (hiking the paths at the reserve). I highly

"Free Guy" Movie Synopsis and Ratings Guide

                PG 13           Violence and Action Throughout, Some Sexual References, and Some Strong Language Guy, a disposable, NPC character in a popular video game, wakes up every morning to his perfectly predictable but pleasant life, where he works as a Bank Teller, and hangs out with his best friend Ron, the security guard. Until one day everything changes, Guy experiences love at first sight with the girlfriend of an armed robber, who holds up his bank. Suddenly all he can think about is a future with this mystery woman. He realizes he can make this happen by getting his hands on a pair of the special glasses he’s seen the bad guys wear. The next time his bank is held up Guy disarms the robber and takes his glasses (which he comes to find give you special abilities and access to cool features within the video game). While roaming around town wearing the glasses, he runs into HER. She teaches Guy that he can accumulate points fast by committing crimes and disposing of o

11 Tips For Losing and Maintaining a Healthy Weight.

Before I launch into the meat of the blog post, I'd like to remind you that you are a STRONG and DETERMINED individual, who has DEFINITELY got this! I have so much more to say, but had to stop at tip number 11 and go out for a walk. I hope you enjoy the article!  Don't stock your home full of fattening snacks and deserts, bottled juice, soda, sports drinks, etc. This is a given right? You'd be surprised how difficult it is for most people to actually accomplish this. If you live with a significant other or have children, you ultimately wind up purchasing these items for them, and eventually partake. Even though I have really strong will power, and manage not to eat these items most of the time, I am likely to cave when I am under stress, feel exhausted, have a cold, or it is that time of the month. My mother n' law brings home a ton of sweets every time she goes shopping, and my husband tends to bring home chocolate muffins, coffee cake, or one pound bars of chocolate,